Friday, July 2, 2010

A MAN.... ???

So, I grew up in a home full of men, aside from my mom... I was taught at a young age a number of things, and most of these things you could combine and call them "dad quotes". Ranging from but not only, " Are ya bleeding? No, then get up and play. Go drink some Tussin you'll be alright, Come on son, men don't cry. Your mom and I expect more from you son. For God sakes, DON'T, DON'T get her pregnant, that's all you need, knock up some one night stand. Well son, I tried it, I knew you would try it, did you like it? Now go flush it down the toilet. Wait, let Me flush it down the toilet." The list could go on and on.
I have a son now... granted he is only 5 months old, BUT, he already has much older women after him (that's my boy George, that's the curse you will have to live with). I have always had it in my mind on how I would raise my children, that I would be the strong arm in the family and I would "break bad' on em... then I realized, I was weak. I hate punishing my kids, I mean look at em their sooo sweet (on the outside) they are like those mafia"ish" penguins in that movie Madagascar on the inside, always planning their next move, how to get to the top shelf, and snatch the cookies etc.
Ok back to the topic at hand. I look at My son now and wonder, what kind of man do I want him to be, when friends, girlfriends, parents of friends and said girlfriends, and strangers look at him, what do I want them to see. Now I am not saying that I was brought up wrong, bad or anything. I am successful for the most part, have a loving wife, and amazing kids that I could sell for a mint on the black market and a God that has blessed me with more than I could ever ask for. But I do know that I want to bring him up with some different values than I was brought up with.
I think that there is a large difference between what society says a man is and what God, church and the bible says a man is. Now I am not sure all of the in's and out's of that is, but I have my own opinions. First, I think that being a man is much more than not crying, I think it is ok for a man to cry, maybe not at the Movie Twilight or Dirty Dancing, but it is ok to cry, I think that being a man is more than providing for your family financially, I Think that it is more than punishing your kids. To be being a man is putting your family before you, supporting everyone through whatever they need. To make sure that your children have a strong belief in God, to know that is it ok to make mistakes. To be truthful, honest and upfront with all they goods and bads in ones life. And to make sure that your wife is treated as gold, and that nothing, and nobody comes between you and her, or into your house that could cause and heartburn.
I could go on and on. But, I will end here.......

Small, please understand that over time I will make mistakes, I will fumble, I will cry in front of you, I will laugh with you. We will have those "Father/Son.... Man to Man" moments. Some I will have had with My dad, some we will create on our own. Please understand that when you don't think you are being watched by others, and you might get away with it, you are and you wont. Know that I love you. Treat your Mom wonderfully, she sacrificed alot for you. Your sisters will over time have friends over.. try NOT to spy on em too much. Your Mom and I look forward to bringing you up in an environment that we never had. When you are old enough for your friends to say the following, "try this you'll love it, we did it." A) they never tried it and B) you wont love it! I only know this cause well, I was the fool who fell for it over and over again. Money isn't everything, Family will always be there for you no matter how badly you messed up. Try and let you Mom get some sleep, cause well... she is sooo tired and well... daddy needs some lovin (one day you will understand and laugh at that). If you ever have any questions and anything (other than women), ask me....

Mommy, I love you. You are amazing, you are the most understanding, gorgeous, strong willed, good hearted, loving, caring woman I have ever met. And it doesn't hurt that you are a great kisser either. I look forward to raising the kids with you. I look forward to getting back to dating again. To doing silly, fun grown up stuff again. I have stumbled, I have tripped. And after every "oops" you pick Me back up, pray, forgive me and hug Me... and I thank you for that.

To Large and Medium, I am sorry that I cant write all this to you yet.. cause well.. I am still trying to figure girls out!!! But soon.. I promise, with Mommy's help!!!!!


I LOVE YOU ALL

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't want to be the habitual commentator, but I LOVE THIS. I laughed, I cried, and you all make me smile really big. I LOVE YOU GUYS (that includes my favorite females). :)

    ReplyDelete