Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Camping Trip

OK, just so everyone knows, we have been on a break due to vacations (and more to come). The sad part is, that on our first of two vacations this summer, we didn't have Internet nor did we have phone reception... (I know right...WOW).... so that was good and bad.

So, let me catch everyone up on what has been going on... I (Daddy), took Large on her first camping trip. Her and I, along with My middle brother Brandon and his dog Simpson went to Bear Creek Lake State Park a few weeks ago. To me this was the first real Father/Daughter thing that I did with her, and I had been looking forward to this day for 3.5 yrs. In my mind every day is looking forward to that first camping trip, the first cheer leading game, football, soccer, or baseball game.

So Brandon got to the camp site Friday afternoon and set up his little area and just kinda chilled until Large and I were to get there early Sat. morning. I thought that camping for the first time for 2 nights would have been pushing it. So I got a call from my brother early Sat morning telling me that is was HOT, raining and nasty out and that he thought it would be best if we called it off..... That however wasn't happening, I paid for the site, I was using the site. So Large and I drove out to the park and by the time we got there... SUN!!

I had the most amazing time with Large. The smile on her face the entire time was priceless. from making our own sandwiches, kayaking, hiking, finding fun things to do in the woods, swimming, I never knew she was such a water bug, and never knew she could swim so well, ok to be honest its more of a doggie paddle on steroids, but she got from point A to point B none the less. We built sand castles, we did everything that she and I wanted to do... no outside distractions, no TV no phones, no REAL rules. For those 2 days her and I did want we wanted, when we wanted. And you could tell by her 3.5 hr nap, which usually lasts about 1.5 hrs if we are lucky.


Since her nap was much longer than expected, once she woke up we just hung around the cap site, running around, getting dirty, laughing and watching the sun go down. She helped Daddy cook dinner and even helped clean up. And then it started.... SMORES.... she could not wait to cook em... so while her and I went and got a shower, cleaned up, My brother started the fire in the pit. When her and I got back she helped me pick out a good long twig that was obviously made for cooking marshmallows. and she stood by the fire and just smiled... once the marshmallow was good, crispy and somewhat on fire, she sat down... sandwiched her chocolate in between the grahmcrackers and stared, almost to the point to where I wondered if she was going to eat it or just marvel at what she had created. But before I could finish my thought... GULP.... she downed the chocolate goodness!


Cleaned up again, into the tent she went with Daddy, tucked into bed, with a few comfort items, a nightly story from Daddy, and off to bed (notice I didn't say SLEEP) she went. I walked to the side of the tent, cracked a good cold beer and sat down, started to talk with My brother on his and My views on Religion, when....."DADDY".... I looked over and there sat Large... smiling.... and in the sweetest voice.... "can you come to sleep with Me"... there is NO beer good enough to turn that down.... So her and I lay in the tent. with the crickets chirping, looking up through the screen roof at the stars when Large started pointing out shaped and figures she saw in the sky, squares, circles, horses and smiley faces. My heart melted, her and I lay talking, giggling and after about 15 mins.... snoring.... like a train... she was out.... arms by her side. curled up to Daddy like glue.... I could move... and lets be honest... would I even have wanted to? NOPE.. so I lay there.. thinking to myself, trying to find the shapes in the sky that she saw and realized that her mind and imagination was amazing, she could see things that I couldn't..... Oh to be a kid again!!!

The sun rose, the chirping from the crickets turned to the chirping of the birds... I however sadly couldn't hear them due to the loud screaming of the kids across the path yelling at their dad to get up and turn the TV on in the RV, and start cooking the eggs and sausage. Large and I lay in the tent for a bit, talking about her favorite parts from the previous day, before getting out of the tent and starting our own breakfast on the lil propane camping grill. And started our day off by cleaning up, packing up and taking off to the lake to go swimming some more before heading back home again.


I can remember back when I was younger, much younger and smile about all the times My Dad had with me, all the traditions he and I shared. Knowing that I have now started that with Large, and soon to be Medium and at some point Small gives me a feeling that only a Dad could have. And I love it. There was a time not too long ago (2yrs), that I was a selfish man, and didn't have nor did I want to spend time with my kids, with some help from Holly, an amazing friend Dennis Green and most importantly God, I now have something that I can now say I couldn't live without, the hearts of my kids, their smiles, laughter and time. My traditions have started and I look forward to sharing, and remembering them all
.

No comments:

Post a Comment