I love to read everyone's daily 'Im thankful for..' in November on Facebook. A couple of years ago someone suggested that I keep a gratitude list. While I didn't put it on paper I did take that advice to heart. I began to think often about what I was thankful for. Often turned into daily; and pretty soon it was like a toned muscle so when my day took a crappy turn I could flex that strong muscle and (sometimes) snap myself out of pity or anger or frustration and back to thankfulness. Then life happened. Things were coming my way that I did not think I could handle. And in the middle of being overwhelmed and so very sad and more scared than I have ever been I thought, "This could be worse." It really could be worse. I know God has me, He carries me and loves me and is constantly sending people who cover me with love and generosity. November 1st came around and I saw those daily gratitudes posted for the world to see. I'm terrible at long term projects. By day 14 I'm out, for real. So I'm making a list but it will all be posted here. I might not finish it until December or February cuz I'm crazy like that (and by crazy I mean lazy, and a procrastinator).
Anyway here goes: In absolutely no particular order I'M THANKFUL FOR.....
1. God. My faith in God. It's my foundation.
2. Large. I have always wanted to be a Mom. Always. I changed on the day she was born. A switch flipped and I learned how to completely put someone else's needs ahead of my own. It doesn't happen like that for everyone and that's ok but for me it was automatic, and magical, and weird.
3. Medium. I (secretly!) prayed and prayed for Large to have a sister. I have a sister, I love her dearly and I cant imagine how much worse my world would be if *gasp* she were a BOY! I wanted that for my Large girl too. Besides, where would we be without this treasure who acts Just. Like. Her. Momma.
4. Small. Oh Boy! He calls me his Fluffy Duffy. No, I have no idea what that means but I'm pretty sure it's good.
5. My Mom. She is amazing. I'd be locked in a padded room without her.
6. My Dad. Also amazing! He takes taking care of me very seriously, I'm so thankful for that.
7. My Sister. Love her so. Miss her everyday. I still (secretly!) pray that we will live closer to one another.
8. Extended family. I am so blessed with a Step-Family, and Aunts and Uncles and Cousins who are all wonderful, supportive, funny, loving, and just generally fantastic.
9. Music. I am a music lover. It moves me, sometimes in ways nothing else can.
10. My Church-PCC. It's Awesome, Amazing and Authentic. It's the place I became real.
11. The Churches I grew up in, Cosby and New Journey. That's where I learned about love. Unconditional, body of Christ, foundational, no matter what kind of love. There I also learned about acceptance and community and the importance of caring for others.
12. My Small Group. I've been in a small group (not the same one) for a little over 4 years now. Truth be told Lin kinda made me go. I thought it was going to be dumb. I was pregnant with Small at the time and SUPER cranky. I like to blame my bad attitude on that. Eating and talking are my specialties so I gave it a whirl. It was a game changer for my life and for my walk with Jesus. Can't even express how grateful I am.
13. My job. It's a good job and I am thankful to have one. The past 10+ years I have been blessed to work with some amazing families. So super thankful.
14. My health.
15. MY KIDS HEALTH. My kids are very healthy for the most part and I try to NEVER take that for granted.
16. Food. I love food, I really do. I don't want to watch cooking shows or read 77 recipes on pinterest but do want to you to tell me about what you had for dinner and how you made it and if you liked it or not. If food was a love language it would be mine. I would love to share a meal with you. I love food so much that I should probably mention it to my therapist. Nevermind, we have bigger fish to fry.
Ok, it's not done but I'm tired and perhaps if I publish the first half then I won't flake out on finishing the list..... I'll keep you in suspense, Dear Readers!!